Saturday, September 24, 2022

September 21 - DIY Homestead - Autumnal Equinox

September 21, 2022

Day 355 of the Adventure

Back Deck View of the Woods
Autumn arrived today and made a blustery statement about it. I went outside wearing a pair of shorts at 66 degrees. An hour later I was quite chilly and discovered the temps had dropped to 58 degrees. There's a Fall statement for you. In fact, the most perfect day for a campfire so far was also delivering enough wind to make a campfire a bad idea. So, the coffee had to pull double duty and make up for the fire, which it wasn't able to do! Oh well, we got our first taste of it and it still felt pretty good. A spit of rain passed through as well. Just enough to make me take a bunch of tools inside I had been using to finish the utility building soffits. With rain in and out of the days forecast and scattered around the radar, I guess my outside work will get placed on hold today. 

I'm not sure if I've ever shown the view of the woods from our future back deck or not. The picture above was taken while standing and looking out the back door of the cabin. There's no deck there yet but it's only a matter of time. (Just like everything else around here) This is also the direction I was looking when the bobcats were yowling at each other a few weeks ago. Life out in the woods is an adventure just being here watching and listening to it. 

I sometimes refer to our "Cabin in the Woods" as the Deep Woods or the Back Woods. I'm not sure how deep or back they really are. I guess that's a matter of personal definition. When looking to the south, it generally ends a couple hundred yards up the hill at the road. When looking to the east, north or west, it looks like it may go on forever. Those are the directions I look when sitting outside writing these posts. There is a measure of peace and tranquility to the backwoods that I've never found a substitute for. It's easy to simply disappear here and be content to stay. It's taken me 60 years to settle into this as a life and I often question "Why so long?" There may not be a suitable answer, but today is a new day and the woods are displayed in front of me once again. 

Carry On

 Adventure Quote:  “By the time we began to understand enough about what the world to ask the right questions, our visit is over, and someone else is visiting, asking the same questions.” ― d.k. LeVick

Base Camp Coffee of the Day:  Lost up the Creek (Sumatra)

Consider Subscribing to our monthly "How-To", Do-It-Yourself" newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.   AND........

Click any of the following links to start your own adventure with us:  

Mountain Craft
Sassafras Tea Making (Chicks in the Sticks video)

DIY Construction Basics Videos
Shelley Painting Trim (Chicks in the Sticks video)

Sunday Morning Outdoor Breakfast Videos
August 28 Breakfast - Campfire Corned Beef Hash
August 7 Breakfast - Chorizo Burritos 
September 4 Breakfast - Outdoor French Toast
September 11 Breakfast - Run-AmuckMuffins
September 18 Breakfast - Dutch Oven Breakfast Frittata

Fun Videos
Run Amuck Road Trip - Thunder Muffins
Run-Amuck Road Trip - Roaring River State Park


Treasured Times Crew to the Rescue Cabin Building (Treasured Times Video)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment