Monday, September 26, 2022

September 26 - DIY - Retired to a Cabin in the Woods

September 26, 2022

Day 360 of the Adventure

As I made my way out to the fire pit this morning, I heard a fury of crashing through the brush out in the woods. Some of it was noisy squirrels and some was deer I guess I had disturbed. Shelley left for her walk a few minutes later and rousted out a few more deer that sneaked up behind me as I sat by the fire. Backwoods living is that way. There's a decent amount of work on my to-do list today, as always, but a morning fire trumps the to-do list every time. 

The outdoor thermometer this morning declared 52 degrees. The forecast is saying 47 degrees for night-time lows in the next few days. As the days get shorter, the weather gets cooler and the fires become more inviting and comfortable in the early morning crispness, life in the woods has a special tranquility to it. Even the slight bit of ash from the fire drifting down into my coffee speaks of Autumn. I've been saying that this woodsy, cabin building project is our move toward retirement, or slowing down for retirement. I may just have to admit at some point that it is, indeed, retirement. Maybe. I'm still not quite sure I'm that old to be referring to myself as retired. I guess the term "old" is just a frame of mind. The term "retired" has a couple of definitions. The first is, "Having left one's job and ceased to work".  I haven't had a job for a long time and I certainly haven't ceased working. The second definition is, "A place one has gone that is quiet and secluded, not seen or frequented by many people"!.......... THAT'S IT........I HAVE retired! lol I've retired to a cabin in the woods! Now I just need to figure out the "Ceased Working" thing. That may never happen. 

Carry On

Adventure Quote:  “What's the point of life unless you live it?”  ― Jessica Glasner

Base Camp Coffee of the Day: Lost up the Creek (Sumatra)

Consider Subscribing to our monthly "How-To", Do-It-Yourself" newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.   AND........

Click any of the following links to start your own adventure with us:  

Mountain Craft
Sassafras Tea Making (Chicks in the Sticks video)

DIY Construction Basics Videos
Shelley Painting Trim (Chicks in the Sticks video)

Sunday Morning Outdoor Breakfast Videos
August 28 Breakfast - Campfire Corned Beef Hash
August 7 Breakfast - Chorizo Burritos 
September 4 Breakfast - Outdoor French Toast
September 11 Breakfast - Run-AmuckMuffins
September 18 Breakfast - Dutch Oven Breakfast Frittata
September 25 Breakfast - Flat-Iron Omelettes

Fun Videos
Run Amuck Road Trip - Thunder Muffins
Run-Amuck Road Trip - Roaring River State Park


Treasured Times Crew to the Rescue Cabin Building (Treasured Times Video)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment