Sunday, December 25, 2022

December 25 - DIY Homestead - The Intentional Christmas Effort

December 25, 2022

Day 450 of the Adventure

Christmas Day, 2022 and its 4:00am. I've got coffee, sitting alone in the darkness and quiet of the early morning, trying to feel the festiveness of the holiday. The truth of Christmas is not in lights, exchange of gifts or even the gathering of family. It's the acknowledgment and celebration of the birth of a Savior. And really, nothing more is even necessary. Still, Christmas time does carry with it a tradition of colorful lights, laughter of friends and family, food and fullness of spirit that no other time of the year can compete with. Thank goodness for the giddy enthusiasm of youth this time of year to keep those traditions alive. I fear at times that I have failed in my responsibility to keep the wonder and magic of the holiday present in the lives of those I love. I'm not sure I could ever don a Santa suit and blurt out a hearty Ho Ho Ho. I do think that I may need to recapture some of the magic myself though. If for no other reason than to fuel the excitement and anticipation in the eyes and hearts of my grandkids. This year has not been an easy year for that. There are too many difficult decisions that are demanding our time and attention. For these reasons, it's probably even more important that the time would have been taken to engage in that magical experience called Christmas. As with all things special, effort must be exerted in the act of creation. Creating a Christmas to remember is no different, and for someone like me, it means intentionally planning and preparing for it. Something I will obviously need to do better in the years to come. These are my thoughts today and my platform of contemplation happens to be a Do-It-Yourself Homesteading blog. I suppose even that is a failure of spirit when it comes to expressing both the subjects of the holiday and the DIY Homestead. Oh well, I tend to add the fun in dis"fun"ction that way. Merry Christmas and.........

Carry On

Adventure Quote:  “Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder

Base Camp Coffee of the Day: Frosty's Favorite (Christmas Spice blend)

SNEAK PEEK of our Upcoming OFF-GRID project

Please Consider Subscribing to our monthly "How-To", Do-It-Yourself" newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.   AND........

Click any of the following Video links to start your own adventure with us on our YouTube Channel:  

Mountain Craft
Making Wooden Buckets (Cooper Craft)
Sassafras Tea Making (Chicks in the Sticks video)

DIY Construction Basics Videos
Shelley Painting Trim (Chicks in the Sticks video)

Sunday Morning Outdoor Breakfast Videos
August 28 Breakfast - Campfire Corned Beef Hash
August 7 Breakfast - Chorizo Burritos 
September 4 Breakfast - Outdoor French Toast
September 11 Breakfast - Run-AmuckMuffins
September 18 Breakfast - Dutch Oven Breakfast Frittata
November 27 Breakfast - Corned Beef Hash and Eggs

Fun Videos
Run Amuck Road Trip - Thunder Muffins
Run-Amuck Road Trip - Roaring River State Park

Earning Income with Our Camp and Cabin Rentals
(How We Did It)

Treasured Times Crew to the Rescue Cabin Building (Treasured Times Video)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment