Monday, September 21, 2026

September 21 - Its Fall Y'all

September 21, 2026

Day 1,818 of the Adventure


We spent yesterday sweating and suffering in yet another 100 degree day. I don't even know how many that was for us this year, but it seemed like it was every single one of them all summer. This morning was different. Just as if the day on the calendar rolled over to fall, we awoke to a cool 67 degrees and residue of last night's thunderstorm dripping from the trees. A single thought ran through my head as I lay in the darkness of the pre-dawn morning. Today will include coffee by a campfire to get things started. To be fair, today will still climb into the lower 80's, but at least it's starting with a taste of what's to come. 
Even with the rain last night, the firewood just beneath the top layer was still dry enough to fire right up. In fact, it was crackling warm long before the coffee was done brewing. 

I sat quietly, absorbing the fresh air, breathing in the aroma of the damp woods. It was already beginning to put off hints of autumn leaves. From where I sit by the fire, I can see the wood splitting and storage area of our firewood processing shelter. While there is probably enough firewood already stored there for entirety of this coming winter, prudence dictates that we increase it substantially as the cooler weather allows.  

The change of another season is upon us and I'm reflecting on all of the chores we got done and the many more that still need our attention. The house building project marches slowly forward each day. We've finally consolidated all of our tools onto the property. It's the first time they've all been in the same place for close to 25 years. The garden remained idle this year, but I'm already looking at it with a look that implies "better get ready for next year". Next week on September 29th, will be our 5th year anniversary of being on the property. It's been a backwoods experience I would not trade for anything. Shelley and I are slowly and quietly building a backwoods life for ourselves here and the slow rhythms of that life suit us perfectly.  

Carry On

Adventure Quote: “I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it.” William Shakespeare

Resources

Make sure to visit our website regularly to see new products and resources.

YouTube Channel: The Campfire Trail

Our Books
Treasures of Life - Daily Devotionals by Shelley
Treasures of Life 2 - Daily Devotionals by Shelley
Treasures of Life 3 - Daily Devotionals by Shelley
Back to the Land - Planning your Back to the Land Roadmap by Martin
Wealth Creation - Principles of Wealth Creation by Martin

Please Consider Subscribing to our newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment