Saturday, October 22, 2022

October 20 - DIY Homestead - Your Story is Worth Telling

October 20, 2022

Day 384 of the Adventure

Telling stories has become a natural part of our life, going back I'd say close to 20 years when we began teaching about Real Estate Investing. It ramped way up when we began running little resorts and cabin rentals. There was just too many fascinating stories to tell. Now that we are into the Camp Run-Amuck part of our life, the story has certainly not lost it's flavor. Not for us anyway. But there's something I've noticed as continue to experience this life path we've chosen. Since we decided to use video as a part of the process, I've been discovering other folks following similar pathways. Some older and many, much younger. For me, it's been a wonderful discovery.

What is so interesting about it is all of the "Pioneer Spirit" out there. Not just in Homesteading or Off-Grid life either. At times we get to feeling like maybe we are the only ones weird enough to follow a weird and unusual lifestyle. A new perspective of that came to me through an unexpected source. My youngest daughter began sharing their stories of adventure on the sea through video about two years ago. After that, I began searching out others doing similar things. Just when I was beginning to believe that younger folks were losing the ability to "Do" for themselves and "Fend" for themselves, I discovered somewhat of a surprise. There was an entire generation and culture out there that was not only taking risks to pursue their dreams, they appeared to be very capable of handling the day-to-day challenges those dreams carried with them. I was especially impressed with the younger ones who were brimming with enthusiasm, skills and an irresistible sense of adventure. It has actually renewed my confidence in the fact that courage and creativity are not dead. You just need to know where to look for it. 

As I watch my own kids figure out how to add or repair components on their motor yacht. As I watch people blaze trails off into the deep woods to craft shelters with nothing but the hand tools they pack in with them. As I watch young families build a homestead a day at a time, learning the necessary skills as they go, I see myself in all of their efforts. It's myself from forty years ago when they only asset my wife and I had available was a willingness to jump in and figure things out along the way. In some ways I suppose, we are still doing that at our backwoods homestead at Camp Run-Amuck. It's nice to know that others are still relying on their personal ingenuity, energy, vision and passion to carry out their dreams. I also marvel at the scope and creativity of those stories. 

It matters not whether your story is a grand adventure, or simply a quiet day-to-day journey that chronicles a life well lived. It's a story that would bring encouragement, hope or possibly even entertainment to someone, and it's worth the telling................

Carry On

Adventure Quote: "If you have an amazing opportunity [or dream] and aren't sure how to do it. Say YES and learn how to do it later"  ~ Richard Branson

Base Camp Coffee of the Day: Lost in the Dark  (Colombian Dark French Roast)

Consider Subscribing to our monthly "How-To", Do-It-Yourself" newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.   AND........

Click any of the following links to start your own adventure with us on our YouTube Channel:  

Mountain Craft
Making Wooden Buckets (Cooper Craft)
Sassafras Tea Making (Chicks in the Sticks video)

DIY Construction Basics Videos
Shelley Painting Trim (Chicks in the Sticks video)

Sunday Morning Outdoor Breakfast Videos
August 28 Breakfast - Campfire Corned Beef Hash
August 7 Breakfast - Chorizo Burritos 
September 4 Breakfast - Outdoor French Toast
September 11 Breakfast - Run-AmuckMuffins
September 18 Breakfast - Dutch Oven Breakfast Frittata

Fun Videos
Run Amuck Road Trip - Thunder Muffins
Run-Amuck Road Trip - Roaring River State Park


Treasured Times Crew to the Rescue Cabin Building (Treasured Times Video)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment