September 6, 2026
Day 1,803 of the Adventure
Building a family "Legacy of Independence" is one of those terms that sounds impressive and deeply fulfilling. While it sounds good, to actually put your finger on it's true meaning is another story. It's a subject that I've kept on the back burner of my mind for years, even decades. It implies leaving something worthwhile behind as we move on in our stages of life and then afterlife. I've always considered it to be a lofty and worthwhile objective.
Over the years, that thought has evolved into various ideas of what it really means in real life. As Shelley and I sat on the back deck with our morning coffee, I was feeling more of an urgency about it. We were discussing things we had recently seen in the news and events playing out on the world geo-political stage. The general poor economy came up in conversation and how it's affecting us and our kids as they try to navigate the financial difficulties of it all. Adding to that was the unsettling reports coming out on almost a daily basis how the race to achieve general artificial intelligence is turning up bizarre, non-human, and even alarming behavior. During this sunrise conversation, I had an instant moment of clarity. My efforts in the waning portion of my life should be dedicated to creating that Legacy of Independence within the minds and lives of my children and grandchildren. Creating an environment that allows our kids to thrive in a world that mostly seems to be dedicated to making them numbers on a ledger. An existence that tries to extract every ounce of life and vibrance from their identity.
As we discussed this over coffee, I began to see a plan unfold. We've spent the last twenty years of our lives getting ourselves to a place where we could build a life of self-sufficiency for ourselves. We always had in mind that it would be something of an inheritance for our kids. Today, I'm looking at it as an ongoing extension for them into the life and lifestyle that they can more readily experience for themselves here and now. We already know their likes and dislikes. We know what draws them to our backwoods oasis. Beginning today, my goal will be to learn in detail, the things they define for themselves as "Legacy Objectives". Whether it's for play, for security against economic pressures, or even long-term food production and preservation security, they will now become active participants in the decisions and directions of our homestead activities.
How will this all play out? I'm not sure yet, but I'll provide updates as needed to help build a picture of our Family Legacy of Independence!
Carry On
Adventure Quote: “Are we being good ancestors?” ―
Resources
Make sure to visit our website regularly to see new products and resources.
YouTube Channel: The Campfire Trail
Our Books
Treasures of Life - Daily Devotionals by Shelley
Treasures of Life 2 - Daily Devotionals by Shelley
Treasures of Life 3 - Daily Devotionals by Shelley
Back to the Land - Planning your Back to the Land Roadmap by Martin
Wealth Creation - Principles of Wealth Creation by Martin
Please Consider Subscribing to our newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.

No comments:
Post a Comment