Wednesday, July 22, 2026

July 22 - The Next Installment of our Journey

July 22, 2026

Day 1,757 of the Adventure


The first day at Camp Run-Amuck
It's been well over six months since my last posting and I wasn't sure whether I would come back to this or not. I'm still not sure to be honest. Today, however is a special day. The picture you see to the right was taken on the day we closed on our "Campfire Trail" property. At the time, we referred to it as "Camp Run-Amuck". A rugged and woodsy bit of Ozark Mountain Paradise........ In our opinion anyway. Complete with sloping hillsides, a small canyon and beautiful waterfalls after a rain. It was the basic footprint of our attempt at backwoods life. A life that would embrace the principles of self-sufficient living. At day number 1,757, I can say that the effort has been mostly successful. The measure of success being that of a calm and peaceful existence surrounded by nature. 

Shortly after arriving, we began to take note of our surroundings. We noticed that there was a large bit of woods next to us that wrapped from the East side of our property, all the way around to the north and extended nearly to the lake far to our west. At the time, it would not be practical, or even possible to inquire into the possibility of trying to purchase it. However, we've always kept our eyes on it in the event that it ever came up for sale. For four and a half years, it stood quietly, guarding our eastern, northern and western flanks against any potential encroachments. Sometime around early June, that suddenly changed. I receive daily real estate sales updates from a realtor friend, and I was shocked and excited to see our neighboring property appear in the new listings. Just the day before, actually only about 8 hours before, I had received a call that someone was interested in buying one of our rental properties which I had initially declined. Upon seeing land next to us show up on the market, I called them back announcing that perhaps I'd be interested in selling after all. Literally twenty-four hours later, I received yet another call. It was our realtors letting us know that we had received an offer to purchase our Treehouse Resort business, which had been for sale for nearly two years by now. Hmmmmm..... I was beginning to think that something was up! Sometimes life feels like a long string of random coincidences. Other times, it feels like fate, providence and perhaps even God's intervention. This was one of those times. 

From the early days of opening up our Campfire Trail / Camp Run-Amuck home, we've talked about the possibility of using it as a small educational tool for demonstrating the value of traditional skills and processes. After all, it's what we've been up to down here since our arrival. Our YouTube channel contains 585 videos as a testament to our commitment to creating this type of content. In fact, the video production has made up the backbone of our business efforts down here in the woods. We've often thought that the land next to us would open up our "Studio" to a greater footprint and offer an even greater pallet of possibilities for relevant content related to the skills, traditions and activities surrounding basic off-grid, homestead or just backwoods life. With circumstances now lining up so favorably for that, how could we resist!

We closed on the sale of the treehouses on June 30th. Yesterday, we closed on the purchase of the land next door to us and effectively quadrupled our space out here in the woods. Where does it all go from here? Honestly, it all happened so fast that we have not had a chance to really think it through yet. At 65 and 67, we feel like slowing down to retire is not a bad idea. Yet, when you feel that just perhaps God is opening yet another door with a vision and a mission attached, 65 and 67 seems like maybe like nothing more than just a good starting point! I guess time will be the judge of that!

Carry On

Adventure Quote: "Here's to having an excellent adventure and may the stopping never start!"

Resources

Make sure to visit our website regularly to see new products and resources.

YouTube Channel: The Campfire Trail

Our Books
Treasures of Life - Daily Devotional by Shelley
Treasures of Life 2 - Daily Devotional by Shelley
Back to the Land - Planning your Back to the Land Roadmap by Martin
Wealth Creation - Principles of Wealth Creation by Martin

Please Consider Subscribing to our newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment