Saturday, April 13, 2024

April 12 - The Campfire Trail - Doing Things..... Like House-Building

April 12, 2024

Day 924 of the Adventure

A few weeks ago I was all excited about people who were displaying the bravery to do some house building. To me, it has become largely a lost art. Perhaps better described as a lost skill. We currently have friends who are in the middle of building a house and have reached a point now where the framing is getting nearly done. I asked them why they are doing it themselves and there were a couple of reasons. William said they would be saving a lot of money by building themselves for one thing, retaining more of their retirement savings. He also stated that he simply wants it done "his way" and this was the best way to achieve that! 

Here's what I admire about the project he and his wife are doing. Somewhere along the way, as a society, we have seemed to have given up on our confidence in creating things. Namely..... a house. So many have come to see house-building as something to be left to the professionals. I suppose if they are big and complex enough, that would probably be a good idea. This is not the case for all circumstances and building a modest house is one of those, I believe anyway. If we have lost the knowledge and skills for basic construction, we really have given up a portion of our self-sufficiency in life. I'm reminded of a principle from the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad" where the author states "Work to learn, don't work to earn". Obviously if you're working, earning is part of the equation, but learning is probably the more important part. I learned building skills from a variety of sources. Working for my dad, working for others, working in shop class and even from reading books. Nowadays, we have videos that can walk us through nearly anything. There's no reason why we need to leave everything to the professionals. 

I applaud my friends Wil and Gretchen as they are demonstrating the fine art and skill of "Getting 'er Done!"

Carry On

Adventure Quote:  “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Base Camp Coffee of the Day: Lost up the Creek (Sumatra)

Resources

Make sure to visit our website regularly to see new products and resources.

YouTube Channel: The Campfire Trail
YouTube Channel: Life of Treasures

Our Books
Treasures of Life - Daily Devotional by Shelley
Treasures of Life 2 - Daily Devotional by Shelley
Back to the Land - Planning your Back to the Land Roadmap by Martin
Wealth Creation - Principles of Wealth Creation by Martin

Please Consider Subscribing to our monthly "How-To", Do-It-Yourself" newsletter in the upper right corner of this page.   AND........

Click any of the following Video links to start your own adventure with us on our YouTube Channel:  

Creating a "Roadmap" Back to the Land


Our 30 Day "Back to the Land" Playlist



Creating Sustainable Income

Creating Sustainable Income Make sure you are subscribed to "The Campfire Trail" YouTube channel and have the "Notification Bell" set to "ALL" to receive notifications of new video publications. 
Video List

No comments:

Post a Comment