Wednesday, July 27, 2022

July 27 - DIY Homestead - Shocking Shopping

July 27, 2022

Day 219 of the Adventure
Base Camp Coffee of the Day: Lost in the Woods (Colombia/Costa Rica blend)

Installment number 1 of replacement jars
Over the weekend, we had to make a run to town (home improvement store specifically) Upon leaving, we decided to run by a grocery store to pick up a few things. Shelley hit the grocery store while I ran in to a nearby small department store to look for a funnel, of all things. There were no funnels to be had, like many other items in the store, or should I say "Not" in the store. I gave up and decided to go and locate Shelley. I found her with a dozen or so items in her cart, already headed towards check-out. As I got close enough to hear, she glared at me in the eyes and declared; "I'm growing a garden!" I responded with "Do we need canning jars?"

The situation that prompted her frustration was the prices and lack of availability of things she had planned on buying. I'm not sure if the sweet corn had any bearing on her remarks, but twelve dollars per dozen ears was perhaps the last straw in the matter. Honestly, I've known, and we all have known, prices on everything have been going up. A lot of it, pretty drastically. In some ways, I suppose it's to be expected, but then again, I'm not sure it's the prices as much as it is the feeling of having no control when it comes to necessities such as groceries. Especially when there seems to be no logical reason for it.

The answer to, "Do we need canning jars" was answered with a prompt "Yes". A number of years ago, Shelley and I put up a very respectable pantry of canned goods off of a modest garden spiked with Rabbit droppings. I'd never seen such a harvest. Among all of the other goods put up was 78 pints of Salsa. Also included was a variety of other garden vegetables, eight to ten varieties of jams and jellies, and then the pickles.......... and more pickles.

I suppose that the timing of our move to the woods with "Self Sufficiency potential" is a great position to be in. Still, a garden is next year's business. Not to be dissuaded by the inconvenience of waiting until Spring and all the prep-work needing to be done. Today we picked up our first installment of replacement canning jars. Unfortunately, when we made our big move from Iowa to Missouri roughly 30 years ago, our stockpile of jars went goodbye.

So, the journey towards a fully stocked pantry has begun!

Carry On!


 Adventure Quote: “An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Click the following links to start your own adventure with us









No comments:

Post a Comment